St Francis School – Sandwich – 1931

August 27, 2014

A view of the original St Francis School in Sandwich. Located at the corner of Peter and Detroit streets in the west end, this building was replaced by a more modern building in the 1960’s that was built next door on the corner of Donnelly and Detroit. St. Francis was closed a few years back and is now home to St. Michael’s Adult Education High School

2 Responses to St Francis School – Sandwich – 1931

  1. rws on August 27, 2014 at 2:55 pm

    International Metropolis has shown St. Francis school in a previous post here http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/images/2011/826b.jpg The school is the L-shaped building with the tall chimney and Andrew put the date of the image as around 1935.
    But it may not be the original school site of 1901. Vernon’s city directory for 1919-20
    places St. Francis Xavier school on the west side of Peter at Detroit Street. Across the street on the east side, where the most recent school now is, was the Kent Canning Company.
    http://www.archive.org/stream/vernonswindsor00vernuoft#page/88/mode/2up

  2. Uzzy on August 27, 2014 at 8:43 pm

    There is now an L-shaped parking lot in its place.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *