Medical Arts Building – c. 1935

August 18, 2014

One of the more interesting and I think overlooked buildings in Windsor is the old Medical Arts building on Ouellette, just south of Erie, opposite Hotel Dieu Hospital. Slowly being renovated into residential units, I’m sure it will be a great place once it’s done. For the life of me though, I cannot understand how planning permission was granted to build the Health Unit office next door.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

15 Responses to Medical Arts Building – c. 1935

1. Another Ex-Pat on August 18, 2014 at 12:12 am

Even with the house next door removed, where will tenants park? My paediatrician was in the building back in the sixties. The area now occupied by the Health Unit was the parking lot. Always totally jammed up. Sounds like a mistake in the making.

2. Gary on August 18, 2014 at 7:01 am

That parking lot on the south side of the building doesn’t look like it holds many parking spaces,about a year ago I was watching a city council meeting and the new parking lot was being discussed by council,Fulvio valentinis was saying he didn’t like the idea of a parking lot fronting Ouellette Ave,But! when it came time to vote on it he! voted for it despite all the bitching he did

3. Gary on August 18, 2014 at 7:06 am

The parking lot on the south side of the building doesn’t look like it holds many cars,i recall watching a council meeting last year and this parking lot was being discussed, Fulvio Valentinis ranted and raved how he didn’t like the idea of a parking lot entrance on Ouellette Ave,But when it came time to vote he voted in favour of it saying he didn’t want to discourage new development on the main street of Windsor

4. Uzzy on August 18, 2014 at 7:10 am

There is an underground parking garage, below the complex.

5. vince on August 18, 2014 at 7:51 am

That building had an elevator that needed an operator in the sixties. The door was closed by the operator, then an inner safety door made up of flat steel bars (like a baby gate) was pulled across the opening.
    The elevator car itself was operated by a large rotating controller on one of the side walls. The operator had to adjust the wheel to make the car level with the floor you were stopping at. Other buildings in Windsor had them but every one I know of was replaced with an automatic unit eventually.

6. Jay Thompson Ricard on August 18, 2014 at 9:32 am

I remember all the workings of that manual elevator, as well! First there was a grand fatherly black man operating it, then a very quiet black lady. I was thrilled as a kid, to get take that elevator with my mom, to go up to see Dr. Breault, the ‘baby’ doctor.

7. Steve on August 18, 2014 at 1:37 pm

The elevator still had an operator into the early 90s. I remember the building well. My parents would take me regularly to Dr. Breault for check-ups when I was a kid. I remember he would always grab my junk at the end and ask questions like ” Soooo, do you like soccer? ” Strange days.

8. Merle Thompson on August 18, 2014 at 2:40 pm

WE had all our doctors in that building in the ’40s and ’50s. Dr. Ernest Beuglet was the ENT who treated my sinuses. His daughter was my friend at St. Mary’s. I’ve forgotten the dentist’s name…thought I’d never forget it, because I had a lot of work done.

9. M on August 18, 2014 at 2:57 pm

First of all Hotel Dieu is on Prince Rd now. The Medical Arts building is across from Windsor Regional Ouellette Campus. Second that building has been renovated. They salvaged it instead of tearing it down and from what I have been told is that the apartments inside are absolutely gorgeous.

10. Gary Fathers on August 18, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Dr Fenech was the dentist. I went to him many times growing up $3.00 a filling. I believe he bought the building. He was A cousin to Guy Lombardo the bandleader. His work is still intact and complemented on by dentist’s since.

11. Dave on August 19, 2014 at 11:52 am

Quality planning, Windsor style. I don’t understand half of what this city does at times…it goes against logic.

12. Kyle on August 20, 2014 at 6:12 pm

The owner of the Keg owns the building and has completely gutted the building and renovated it right. A group of us did a lot of the demolition in side of building 2-3 years ago. It was literally just the brick walls and most of the floors left. All bathrooms on each floor in the stair case were removed etc. I haven’t seen the final work yet but some of the pictures as the renovation was going on looked beautiful.

13. Martin Beneteau on August 20, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I remember our family doctor being in that building, Dr Durocher. He died in the late ’70’s. I also remember being under his care when he died. At the time I was taking medicine that he had prescribed and it seemed strange knowing that he was no longer with us.

14. Merle Thompson on August 21, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Thanks,Gary, for the name of Dr. Fenech…his work is still in my mouth and I’m 82…so, perhaps 70 years or so. Not bad.

15. Scotty Hughes on August 23, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I had frightening experiences in this building as a young boy of 6 years old in the 1950’s. Dr. Ernest Beuglet was my eye/ear doctor, he saved my vision, I would have been blind in one eye if not for him, but it was not a pleasant experience at all. Every time I drive by this building I remember. I am glad they never tore this amazing piece of architecture down though. Thanks for the post Andrew.