Today we take a look at James Baby, the
man who built the second owner of the Duff-Baby house at the corner of Russell & Mill.That house built about 1790, is still standing and is Windsor’s oldest building.
As for James Baby,
the builder (pictured above) Frederick Neal’s book has this to say:
- HON. JAMES BABY
Was born in Detroit, 1762, built the Baby Mansion, at Sandwich, about the year 1790. He
was a member of the Legislative Council of Hesse and Western District from 1792 to 1833;
appointed Judge of Surrogate Court in 1794; at the close of the War of 1812-13 he was appointed
to the very responsible office of Inspector General of Upper Canada. This later office was offered
him because his merits had been so conspicuous during the war, his services so disinterested, his
losses so great that the Government tendered him the position as a mark of approbation. He died
at Little York (Toronto), February 19, 1833, in his 71st year. His remains were brought to
Sandwich and re-interred in Assumption Church Graveyard.