Monthly Archives: June 2014

Airport Terminal Construction – 1956

June 27, 2014
0627

From the Windsor Daily Star – July 30, 1956 TERMINAL TAKING SHAPE – The new $615,000 Windsor Airport Terminal, which will include immigration, customs and quarantine facilities for international operations, is gradually taking form. Steel is up, most of the concrete floors poured, rough plumbing is going in and tinsmith work also is underway....

Read more »

Wilkinson Homestead – Chippawa Street

June 25, 2014
0625

Sticking with “The Township of Sandwich” and with Chippawa Street in the west end, I noticed this old photo. It’s captioned: The Col. John A. Wilkinson Homestead Chippewa Street, Sandwich. Interesting to note, at some time in the last century the spelling of the street changed from Chippewa to Chippawa…. The book also has...

Read more »

Peter and Chippewa – Then and Now

June 23, 2014
0623a

From Frederick Neal’s “Township of Sandwich” in 1909: Looking from the intersection of Peter street, west to the Detroit River. The two old fashioned dwellings on the right of the picture are said to be much over 100 years old and were silent witnesses of the war of 1812 and the rebellion of 1837-38....

Read more »

Lang & Jewell Body Service – 1935

June 20, 2014
0620

This photo above ran in the Border Cities Star on June 29, 1935: Above picture shows one of a fleet of 15 new palatial highway parlor coaches of modern streamline design. These coaches were upholstered, painted and letter by the Lang & Jewell Body Service, main plant, on Howard avenue. A force of 30...

Read more »

The Beeman House – Ouellette and Pitt – c. 1880

June 18, 2014
0618

From “The Township of Sandwich” the caption reads as follows: THE BEEMAN HOUSE Windsor, Ont., “Dode” Maisonville, Propr. This building waserected in the year 1855, on the Northeast corner of Pitt and Ouellette avenue, by Mrs. Beeman. The contractor was John Shoreland, and Thomas Gray, carpenter and jointer, of Sandwich, did nearly all the...

Read more »