Crawford & University – Then & Now

May 21, 2014

The site where Grace Hospital once stood is now wiped bare, and the grassy lot gives no clues to what was once there.

Back in time a decade to 2004, and the same corner, it’s hard to remember the massive complex that stood on the same site. It’s a shame all those trees were lost.

Hope everyone had a nice long weekend.

16 Responses to Crawford & University – Then & Now

1. pat on May 21, 2014 at 3:03 am

Amherstburg is really bad for that, they tear down house’s for various reasons and take down the old growth trees with them, the lots sit vacant and so do the stumps…

2. Gary on May 21, 2014 at 7:27 am

After what weve seen on this corner for the last couple of years it’s hard to believe just 10 years ago the hospital looked this good

3. Uzzy on May 21, 2014 at 8:37 am

It looked that “good” from the outside. I worked there, around that time. It was a shell of its former self. Only a few floors and areas were used. The rest was storage, and left to rot, largely. It was the last place I saw ashtrays outside the elevators, though not still in use.

4. JeffS on May 21, 2014 at 10:07 am

You mean it hasn’t been turned into a parking lot yet?!

5. Uzzy on May 21, 2014 at 1:42 pm

They should at least turn it into a park lot. “Salvation Army Grace Park” would be nice. Plant some trees, put in some benches, etc.

6. Duncan on May 21, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Lou Vozza Park? Ok all kidding aside, I’m sure that every day when the long suffering residents in the homes facing the former Grace site walk out of their front door, they smile.

7. Jack Parker on May 21, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Lots of drug houses in the area. Sure they don’t care what’s across the street.

8. Dave on May 22, 2014 at 8:45 am

At least put some trees on the University Ave side. Sad….

9. ShawnM on May 22, 2014 at 11:58 am

Would make a great space for some summer festivals… at least utilize the space until something (if anything) is built?

10. Gary on May 22, 2014 at 12:13 pm

the city doesn’t do a real good job of maintaining the parks we already have so I don’t think a park would be the ideal idea a spot for festivals of some kind seems like a good idea

11. Lanny on May 22, 2014 at 3:55 pm

So disappointing to read the negative comments about the city I loved and grew up in. In the fifties, the parks were places we loved to visit and play in and go to carnivals in and visit “Soopies”. I’ve always bragged that Windsor was a great place in which to have grown up. Now I read sour and defeated comments from people that obviously love their city and want so much more. What the hell has changed from the fifties? Better yet, why have Windsorites let it come to this?

12. WED on May 23, 2014 at 11:15 am

Lanny….
    Live by the auto industry , die by the auto industry. Far too many factories have left this city for good and with them went decent paying middle class wages which built and sustained a thriving community. All that is left are empty lots and dilapidate neighborhoods. The city planners should have worked on diversification as early as the fifties but this was not a priority especially when the auto business was rolling, the general population was content and the tax revenue was pouring in and there seemed to be no end to the gravy train. So sad indeed.

13. Jeff on June 1, 2014 at 8:56 pm

There was an article in the Globe and Mail today about decline of industry and jobs in southwestern Ontario. One of the cities featured was Windsor. I’m wondering why the impact of NAFTA doesn’t get any mention in creating present day circumstances. If this has been a failed policy – and certainly not “all boats have been raised” as promised by politicians of the day – then addressing this as a built in structural fault seems important. The Auto Pact brought prosperity to Ontario back when politicians Canadian’s employed actually worked on their behalf.

14. Brian on June 8, 2014 at 8:10 pm

At first I thought a park would be the ticket.The more I think about that the less it seems like a good idea.I seriously think it would make a great site for a Wal Mart or something.The WEST SIDE is dying before I eyes.I feel bad for students and mothers and people with out transportation to get around,I mean think about it,you can’t even but a pair of underwear or socks in the west end since they took out Zellers.With it you took the only grocery store in the area in price chopper and the only place to buy clothes!

15. Ron on June 9, 2014 at 6:40 pm

@Brian: If Zellers was not a Survivor in the area, then what is it to say that Wal-Mart would be a Survivor?

16. Uzzy on June 10, 2014 at 10:20 am

Which Zellers? The one at Ambassador Plaza? There’s a FreshCo there, and an A&P at University Mall. No underwear, or socks, I suppose.