Less Delay The Walkerville Way – 1926

April 22, 2013

The old Walkerville Ferry, even though the Bridge and Tunnel quickly killed off the Windsor – Detroit ferry, the Walkerville – Detroit ferry continued to run in to the early 1940’s. Maybe one day we’ll see a ferry again…

10 Responses to Less Delay The Walkerville Way – 1926

1. Shawn on April 22, 2013 at 7:42 am

I’d love to see a ferry run for pedestrian use only.
    In Niagara Falls, you can WALK across… I think a ferry to the downtowns of both cities would be used all the time in the summer. Especially if the border agents of both countries make it a pleasant experience (like it says on some signs). Make it a speedy process, and be done with it!

If we are to advance as a border region, we have to take advantage of it.

2. gary on April 22, 2013 at 8:03 am

i agree 100% with what you said Shawn they have talked about it for years BUT!!that seems to be as far as it goes i wish for once they would follow thru with some of their ideas they talk about destination attractions i think this would be right up there but again like you say the border agents have to make it pleasant

3. Dave on April 22, 2013 at 8:51 am

Look at the times the ferry was available. I think they beat Windsor transit…in the 21st CENTURY!

4. windsorshane on April 22, 2013 at 5:16 pm

A ferry would be amazing! I heard a rumour that the white structure on the US side in front of the rencen parking garage is a ferry dock. Hopefully we can set up a pedestrian ferry soon… I realize the new bridge will have a bike lane.. but its too far from downtown and probably won’t see much use.

5. Richard McIntyre on April 22, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Last spring when they had the opening of the Detroit dock they proposed a ferry service, the first roadblock is Revenue Canada will not pay for customs, or immigration officers, long standing position.
    The most recent problem is Home Land Secruity wanting a fee of $5. or more to enter the US, on topof any ferry toll, round tip could cost $15. or mor

6. windsorshane on April 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Home land security… ugh. If they can’t afford it.. get rid of it. I can’t imagine they will impose those fees, they are bad for everyone. I’m gonna hold my breath and see what comes of this… It will probably get tossed out. As for customs.. I can’t see how a couple customs agents from both countries that process travellers while on the ferry would cost that much. I don’t understand how we can afford a new bridge but we can’t afford to pay for a few guys to sit on a boat and scan passports.

7. Mike on April 26, 2013 at 10:09 am

This may be a bit late but this post makes me think of a plan that was being floated when I was a young person early in the 1960’s late 50’s. There was a group that was trying to develop some kind of cable cars across the river between the two cities. Does anyone remember this? I remember the billboard about it and never knew what the result was other than it did not get built.

8. Sean Marshall on April 29, 2013 at 11:43 am

I’d love to see a ferry too between Detroit and Windsor, as there’s no legal way to get across if you don’t have a car to transport the bike. Transit Windsor won’t allow bikes on the Tunnel bus (except folded bikes, which I’m not a fan of), and Matty Maroun banned pedestrians on the Ambassador Bridge as some knee-jerk response to 9/11.

The closest point that one can take a bike across is the Algonac-Walpole Island ferry. (Or via Peele Island and Sandusky in the other direction.)

Last summer, I biked in the Kingston area, and took Horne’s Ferry, which connects Wolfe Island with Cape Vincent, New York (there’s a MTO-operated ferry from Kingston to Wolfe Island, which is free). It was $2 each way as a passenger (no charge for the bike), or $15 for a car. It was neat riding a bike up to the customs agent’s booth on both sides.

9. Mark R on October 7, 2013 at 4:08 am

Sorry Sean, but pedestrians were banned on the bridge after Vietnam protests. I used to ride my racing bicycle over the bridge to Belle Isle where many of us practised by doing ten laps around the island. This was before the Ciociaro track. You have no idea how steep the American side is until you pedal it. Some great memories of standing in the middle of the bridge and watching ships pass beneath. Sometimes we’d see if we could drop a peach down a smokestack if no one was on deck. It also offered a sureal view of the Montrose when it sank. The bridge would sway up and down when a truck went by.