Napoli Restaurant – 1954

January 25, 2013

From the June, 1954 edition of the Windsor And Essex County Visitor’s Guide.

Gotta get some of that Pizza Pie! This would have been Walker and 42/Division? Anyone remember this place?

13 Responses to Napoli Restaurant – 1954

1. Scott Hughes on January 25, 2013 at 12:55 am

I remember it for sure… way out in the boondocks it was! The Airport Tavern was right across the street too.

2. Mark McKenzie on January 25, 2013 at 1:07 am

Is this the same building that later became a Chinese Restaurant (and now where Applebees is located)???

3. RED on January 25, 2013 at 5:53 am

this brings back memories for sure!!! My old neighbourhood, not much left of it since the expressway came. Lots of nights spent here with the gang after an outing.

Yes this is where Applebees is now.

Love to see this picture and remember the old times many thanks.

4. Hal Sullivan on January 25, 2013 at 9:05 am

After Friday night football or basketball games, a group of us from Walkerville C.I. would always head out to “The Nap” for pizza. We got quite friendly with the owner/operator named Sam. The place also had music machines in each booth, allowing us to put in…..what…..a nickel?…..and have a favourite song played on the juke box (which the whole restaurant would hear). Those were the days (the late 1950s).

5. Duncan on January 25, 2013 at 9:28 am

Yes Mark. You’re correct.

6. Chris on January 25, 2013 at 10:04 am

Yes I remember when it was a Chinese restaurant, I believe it was called Chans.

7. mike wannick on January 25, 2013 at 10:25 am

Yah … I remember going to the Airport for beers and then to Chans to soak up some of that excess alcohol. It was one of the places you went to after afternoon shift at Chryslers, along with the Europe, Embassy, Walker Road Tavern , as I was headed to Harrow this was a good place to stop for me !!! Two of the four are long gone…. I also remember being at those two for their last call (last day open)…

8. Scott Hughes on January 26, 2013 at 12:20 am

Hey Mike W., where were the Europe and Walker Road Taverns, exactly??

9. mike wannick on January 26, 2013 at 7:15 am

The Europe is called “Teezers” on Droullard and is still operating. The Walker Road was where the service exit off the expressway to Walker road is , It would have been on the South West corner of the expressway where it crosses Walker road,the property was some kind of dog kennel, exercize yard a while back. I hope this helps….

10. ken st antoine on January 26, 2013 at 11:08 am

I sure miss the Butterfly shrimp at chans…great place to stop after the Riv.. :)

11. Uzzy on January 28, 2013 at 6:50 am

So were Routley’s and Napoli Restaurant not the same place? They’re both 1954? Or was that the year it changed over?

12. shirley on February 2, 2013 at 7:41 am