Essex County Registry Office – c. 1909

October 26, 2012

A neat old postcard view of the old Registry office on Brock. The building was built around 1875 and was designed by Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd.

View Larger Map

The building, although expanded, still stands on Brock street between MacKenzie Hall and the Windsor Jail.

Have a good weekend everyone, see you back here Monday.

5 Responses to Essex County Registry Office – c. 1909

  1. Tom Watson on October 26, 2012 at 8:28 am

    What purpose does this building serve now?

  2. Vicki on October 26, 2012 at 8:30 am

    The May 23, 1914 edition (p. 5) of the The Windsor Evening Record featured a brief history of the registry office service in follow-up to the death earlier that year (Jan. 3, 1914) of registrar, J. Wallace Askin. This article seems to shed a bit of light on the addition to the building pictured in the post card.

    Article excerpt:

    “…The late registrar was chiefly instrumental in bringing about the much needed improvements in the registry office in Sandwich. For years he urged the necessity for more accommodation, and, at last, at the very time of his death, space was being cleared in the jail yard and the foundation laid for the much needed addition.”

    Additional references to this structural expansion in other editions of the The Windsor Evening Record indicate that it took place on the south side of the original structure and was valued at $20,000.

  3. Shawn on October 26, 2012 at 8:45 am

    Great picture of our history.

  4. pdeck on October 26, 2012 at 2:40 pm

    This building is currently being used as office space for the Windsor Jail. It’s fate once the jail closes is anyone’s guess. Some people are pushing for a museum or museum/ arts space for both of these important, historical gems in Sandwich Town.

  5. Jay Thompson Ricard on October 31, 2012 at 2:26 pm

    A museum here as well as using the jail would be perfect. My grampa helped to lay the foundation of that jail.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *