Cunningham Sheet Metal

October 24, 2012

I recently came across this ad from 1932. The business is still in the same spot, and got me thinking… Are there any other business beside Hiram Walker & Sons, Chrysler & Cunningham, that are still around from the days of Walkerville? There must be a dwindling list of businesses that once called Walkerville home….

View Larger Map

Please chime in there there’s any other businesses you can think of that once had an address in the town of Walkerville and are still around today…

12 Responses to Cunningham Sheet Metal

1. John on October 24, 2012 at 12:22 am

The owners have been very good about keeping that building original and tip top shape. Very classy.

2. John on October 24, 2012 at 12:32 am

Oh, Andrew, here’s one to add to your list – ETR.

ETR also has one or two original buildings on Lincoln that have aged quite gracefully.

3. Shawn on October 24, 2012 at 7:37 am

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head were the old banks? The one on Devonshire (not sure when it closed) and the bank of Montreal on Wyandotte which is now the gourmet emporium. They lasted quite a while in the same buildings didn’t they? Other than that, not sure what original businesses are left.

4. Mark W on October 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm

How long has Colonial Tool been in their current location?? I know the company has been around for a looong ass time.

5. Andrew on October 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Colonial tool, despite looking older than it is, was only built in the late 1940s.

6. pcnyc on October 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Cunningham’s scripted metal signage has long been admired. Glad some things last.

7. vp on October 25, 2012 at 12:37 pm

pcnyc you are right on with your comment. I love that script! I hope that if anything ever happens to that building that the sign is rescued for the musueum that has yet to be built.

8. andrewsmom on October 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Apparently Diane Shoes on Ottawa has been in business for over 100 years, but I don’t know how long they have been on Ottawa Street. Does anyone know?

9. pcnyc on October 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Agreed, VP.
    Diane’s Shoes has been on Ottawa St. as long as I can remember, since at least the 70s.

10. John on October 26, 2012 at 9:09 pm

It appears Diane Shoes has been in Walkerville since 1939 at least – this photo shows one location in the building of what appears to me to be the present day “Uniforms Plus”??

11. John on October 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Also… is it just me or does the “Ouellette” location on the Windsor Star website link bear a strong resemblance to its present day Ottawa street store as it might have looked in the ’30s?

12. Stephen Fox on October 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm

According to International Metropolis, Feb,15,2012, “Devonshire Road – c.1912″, the bank at Assumption and Devonshire has been there since 1906 always as a bank. Like most Canadian banks, it has gone through several name changes, but it is still a bank, over 100 years old.