Peabody Bridge c. 1984

March 28, 2012

Photo © Matthew Kulbacki

Another picture from the Matthew Kulbacki collection, via Tim Swaddling.

Today’s shot is looking west and shows the long gone Peabody Bridge over Riverside Drive. Hard to imagine that this bottleneck on Riverside Drive once existed.

Looking at the area today, I’m hard pressed to remember it. The apartments on Riverside and Chilver can be seen beyond the end of the bridge.

9 Responses to Peabody Bridge c. 1984

1. Ken on March 28, 2012 at 7:51 am

I recall how great it was to ride a bike down Riverside in the middle of the night with this monstrosity finally gone. It was a victory. As a bike commuter the Peabody bridge was complete obstruction in trying to get across the city. Sadly the Peabody Bridge demolition is regarded as a yard stick for how long this city takes to move on certain ideas. As long as I can remember there had been talk of tearing it down. I was born in 1971 and I believe it finally came down in 1993.

2. Duncan on March 28, 2012 at 7:54 am

You’re looking east. That’s the Hiram Walker Flat Iron building. I certainly don’t miss this bridge.

3. Jeff on March 28, 2012 at 11:41 am

Agreed with Duncan. This view is looking east. http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=42.325254,-83.016492&hl=en&ll=42.32529,-83.016055&spn=0.000994,0.002064&num=1&t=h&z=20
    Zoom into street view to see.

4. Joe Longmoore on March 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm

If you were looking west, north would be on your right and the apartment buildings at Chilver would be in the rail yard along the river, in other words, on the river side of Riverside.

5. gary on March 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm

i recall in the 50’s they had these posts up on each side of the bridge with these cables hanging vertically from the poles i think they were there to check car height because of the bridge

6. Norm on March 28, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I remember that when you crossed the bridge at sunrise(going east) or sunset(going west) the sun would burn right into your eyes. It’s amazing that there weren’t more accidents on the bridge at those times of day. Don’t miss that!! Do miss the Flat Iron Building.

7. Marc Kulbacki on March 28, 2012 at 11:52 pm

“i think they were there to check car height because of the bridge” Those were called “tell-tales” and in former times were used to alert a brakeman atop the train to duck or get off the top. They were also used at the Tecumseh Road viaduct to alert semi drivers that their trailers wouldn’t clear the bridgework. It didn’t seem to help. :)

8. Marc Kulbacki on March 29, 2012 at 12:06 am

I’m afraid I miss the bridge dearly. The best times of my life were spent under, on and around looking at the last days of steam and first generation diesel. I’d give anything to go back.

9. gary on March 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm

HI Marc ya i thought thats what they were called tell -tales to keep people from riding on top of the cars you don’t see cool old railroad stuff like that anymore not to get off topic are you still playing with radios Marc??