Oventhal Building – 1022 Wyandotte Street East

September 21, 2011

This building on Wyandotte Street West has long been one of my favourites. The large glass block windows on the second floor harken back to the 1930′s. I have no real information on the building or architect. The address comes up as being originally home to the Reycroft department store. I came across a picture of it form the early 1920′s and it’s not the same building, unless it was expanded and had new facade put on it.

After Reycroft it was home to The Buy-Right Store, operated by Murray Oventhal.

Some advertisements I saw for Buy-Right said “Since 1932″. Although the materials, the glazed brick and glass block are traditionally typical of the later 1930′s.

11 Responses to Oventhal Building – 1022 Wyandotte Street East

1. gary on September 21, 2011 at 9:00 am

i’m curious if the business located here is related to HAI HO car upholstery on alymer and wyandotte?

2. Ralph Talbot on September 21, 2011 at 10:06 am

You’re right! That’s where Hai originally started his business operation in the 1980′s, prior to moving to the Wyandotte St. location.

3. Jeff S on September 21, 2011 at 10:59 am

My parents had their sectional sofa reupholstered by Mr. Ho back in the late 1980′s. He did a good job and was a lot less than buying a new one.

4. JB on September 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I think the building would look much better if the glass block was replaced with regular windows, a lot of light would come through, though it could damage the inventory. I would think security would not be a major concern.

5. Aaron on September 22, 2011 at 5:34 am

Me too. I almost always hate the way glass block looks. Maybe its just on newer stuff…this doesn’t look so bad. Maybe its the type of block being used here as well. But I think you’re on to something JB. If that’s a show room or storage, those windsows would be getting a ton of sun for a good chunk of the day. Maybe that’s why they were installed in the first place?

6. Dave on September 22, 2011 at 7:37 am

There are a lot of textiles up there as well as antique furniture from customers. The light will certainly fade or degrade fabric.

7. Richard McIntyre on September 22, 2011 at 11:51 am

If the glass block windows are original, would it not be destroying history by replacing them?

8. Edward on September 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm

The September, 1937 issue of Fine Furniture Magazine

on page 28 notes the opening of Buy Rite Furniture owned by Murray Oventhal on June 17, 1937 in Windsor, Ontario.

9. Joe Longmoore on September 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Good find, Edward.

10. Brenda Oventhal Saperstein on December 31, 2012 at 9:01 am

My uncle, Murray Oventhal, had the furniture store for years! Buy Rite Furniture. I worked part time in the office for 3 years. And my dad, Sam Oventhal, worked there for decades as a salesman. Nice memories. Also a couple cousins were employees for many, many years.

11. Gary Oventhal on January 31, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Did they ever mention any realitives in NY? Oventhal is not a common name. My father told me many years ago that all Oventhals are related.