Osterhout’s Restaurant & Confectionery

September 22, 2010

Up today is this postcard view of Osterhout’s Restaurant & Confectionery, from the early 1920′s. This place was located in what was then known as the Exchange Building, before being sold to George Wilkinson for use as a shoe store. This is one of the rare examples of a building that kept its address through the renumbering of 1937.

The address today is still 333 Ouellette Ave. and as best as I can tell, this is the space occupied today by Vermouth.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

7 Responses to Osterhout’s Restaurant & Confectionery

1. Dave on September 22, 2010 at 6:51 am

What an outstanding postcard! The interior is very nice with the balcony in the back. I also love the lights and the old style fan in the top left corner.

2. MIKE WANNICK on September 22, 2010 at 9:20 am

Love the booths throught the interior. As I don’t get downtown much what is in Vermouths ? My best guess ??? A bar ??? I also saw this card on ebay and probably cost you more to buy it, as I can’t tell who I’m bidding against !!! Sorry Andrew….

3. Rob S.- on September 22, 2010 at 11:12 am

Does anybody know if the low rise 4 story tower above Vermouth occupied by anyone/anything? I’ve always found that building interesting.

4. Doug Shirk on September 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I can’t tell from the picture, but does it have a counter with a soda fountain? In a small town not too far from where I am, until about 15 years ago we had a similar resturant, with a refrigerated window for displaying frozen treats, a punched tin ceiling and mahogany booths. Definately a trip back in time….

5. ROBBIE on September 22, 2010 at 3:47 pm

EXCELLENT POSTCARD!!!

6. Branko on September 23, 2010 at 12:19 am

What beautiful woodwork and leather, and the lighting is very nice. Windsor sure could use a room like that now.

7. Dave on September 23, 2010 at 7:11 am

Branko, you are right but most Windsorites would ignore it because it would be deemed “snooty”. God forbid we have something classy in Windsor.

Rob S. From what I understand there is nothing going on above that building. It used to house offices but they have been closed for some time. I think they would make great lofts.