The Granville

January 27, 2010

Above is an ad from May, 1929, I came across last year advertising the Detroit Free Press Sponsored Model Home “The Granville”.

The house was located on Granville Street, in Southlawn Gardens and was designed by the architectural team of Trace & Diehl.

Granville Street has since been renamed Granada Street, but the house is still there. A few modifications over the years, like the bay window in the front, and new windows all around, but she’s still standing.

View Larger Map

16 Responses to The Granville

1. Victoria Rose on January 27, 2010 at 8:51 am

Looks like they’ve had to repair the brick a bit but it’s in great shape. I love it when people really take care of the older houses. There are some neat ones in this area.

2. JB on January 27, 2010 at 8:55 am

Nice house. Appears to have been lucky to have been maintained all these years. From the map, did Roselawn continue to Dougall at some point? Probably made for an interesting intersection.

3. Joe Longmoore on January 27, 2010 at 1:42 pm

If you scroll towards Roseland G.C. you ‘ll see that McGregor Blvd also intersected at that point. Traffic Engineering has taken much of the serendipity out of driving.

4. Jane on January 27, 2010 at 6:51 pm

What a nice house! It’s always sad to see the windows changed – I have really mixed feelings about this. The originals are so attractive, but anyone who has lived with rotting original and maybe poorly maintained windows knows that sometimes there is no choice. Aesthetics vs. comfort and economics, a hard choice sometimes.

Thanks for posting this. It’s so great to see a house like this that has survived (and looks so good).

5. Scott Wear on January 27, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I could see this home from my backyard growing up on Roselawn. There is a nice one beside it of a similar vintage. My dad and grandfather helped a war hero move in there after WWII when my grandfather owned Wear Movers. The real beauty is at the S.E. corner of Roselawn and Grenada. The great depression put an end to that development and building did not start again on this part of Roselawn until the early 1960s. My parents built their home in 1962. The original cement roads were still there when I was a kid.

6. Brendan on January 27, 2010 at 11:59 pm

There is a Granville Crescent in Windsor, I wonder if it is named after the same thing/person?

7. Shawn Micallef on January 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Cement roads…yeah.

Andrew – did you once do a post about the Dougall/Cabana intersection. Did all those roads once converge? In a circle? Or was there an unrealized plan for that to happen? Seems like something from the grand City Beautiful era (though suburban) was supposed to happen.

8. John on January 29, 2010 at 8:04 am

I think you are talking about Grand Boulevard. Andrew mentioned something about that to me once or twice as well, with West Grand being the only remnant of this circular route that didn’t happen. Hopefully he can fill in. That has always been a curiosity to me as well.

9. Dave on February 1, 2010 at 8:59 am

I don’t think Andrew checks up on the site much anymore.

10. Paula on February 3, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Roselawn Blvd used to continue to Cabana Rd and cross over Cabana to go to the plaza on the South West side of Dougall and Cabana Rds. The plaza consisted of a cornerstore called Shady’s. Further down on Dougall was DeRe’s Drug Store. As traffic increased, accidents happened at that Cabana/Roselawn crossing and they rounded Roselawn into a cul-d-sac. My mother has told me that the tutor home on the South east corner of Roseland at Granada once belonged to Paul Martin Sr.

11. Shawn Micallef on February 5, 2010 at 10:02 am

Ah ha – the tudor – this is the other post I was thinking about:

12. Andrew on February 6, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Right Shawn. This house above in this post was a model home sponsored by the Detroit Free Press, there is also one in this area that was a Windsor Star sponsored home that I have yet to post about… The one in your link was just another developers sub divisions, not to mention the ones on Victoria Ave. in this section…

13. Susan P on May 2, 2010 at 11:35 am

That looks like my old friend, Janice Dottor’s house. She lived there in the late 50′s and early 60′s with her family. I used to go there to play with her (we were in grade school) and I was always struck at the beauty of the architecture. There were a few similar Tudor style homes in the area and I hope they are still standing. Beautiful!

14. Andrew on May 2, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Susan – may it probably is it… The 1957 Phone book lists an A.J. Dottor at 432 Granville Cres. Back in 1957, this would have been Sandwich West Township. So I’m not sure when the name was changed, but this is 432 Granada Ave.

15. Susan P on May 2, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Andrew. Al Dottor was Janice’s dad. Next door to Janice’s house was the Cassidy’s house, also big and beautiful and kitty corner on the corner of Roselawn and Cartier, the old Paul Martin home I believe, was Suzanne Romain’s house. Her dad, if I remember, owned a pharmacy and the Windsor Steak House. These were all the beautiful homes of my school mates back in the late 50′s early 60′S.

16. Jim Reid on August 23, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I believe the original traffic plan called for a “square” at intersection of Cabana, Dougall, Roselawn and McGregor. A small piece of “Dougall Square” still remains near Ted Farrons Butcher shop today.