Monthly Archives: September 2009

Moy Hall

September 30, 2009
Moy Hall

What once once farm lots 92 & 93 were owned by former Windsor Mayor John Davis. John Davis served five terms as mayor from 1897-1901. In four of the five elections he stood for mayor in (there were one year terms back then…) he was acclaimed. The Davis farm, followed the old French ribbon...

Read more »

St. Edward’s School

September 28, 2009
St. Edward’s School

Located on the west end of Sandwich is the former St. Edward’s School at the corner of King St. and Prince Rd. The Border Cities Star, May 3, 1929 edition makes reference to a new unnamed four room school to be built in Sandwich. Plans for a four room fire proof school to be...

Read more »

Ottawa and Parent – Then and Now

September 25, 2009
Ottawa and Parent – Then and Now

So the Streetcar exhibition is gearing up at the Art Gallery of Windsor. The show opens next weekend, October 3rd and runs through January 3, 2010. So make a plan to come see it. This afternoon all the material is turned in and the framing and hanging begins… One of what I think will...

Read more »

Another Progressive Feature of Walkerville

September 23, 2009
Another Progressive Feature of Walkerville

This ad from the Walkerville Land and Building Company dates to 1928. Extolling the virtues of Walkerville and how progressive it was… What would have happened if Walkerville hadn’t been amalgamated into Windsor in 1935? Could it have survived as a separate town?

Read more »

Knights of Columbus Hall & The Auditorium Building

September 21, 2009
Knights of Columbus Hall & The Auditorium Building

This building fronting on Ouellette at the end of Tuscarora Street, was known as the Auditorium Building as was designed by local Architect J.C. Pennington in 1916. In November of 1922, ground was broken on the new Knights of Columbus hall on the backside of the Auditorium Building. The building was opened to the...

Read more »