Photo Du Jour – October 31, 2005 – Detroit Hotels 1929 – Part I

October 31, 2005

Today’s Photo Du Jour is from a Detroit promotional Booklet from 1929. This is part 1 of a series showing all the major Detroit Hotels.

The most amazing fact to me from this booklet is the following:

“More than 12,000 modern hotel rooms are located within a five minute walk of Grand Circus Park, in the heart of downtown hotel, theatre and shopping center. Another 13,000 additional rooms are available within less than a mile of the City Hall. Detroit ofers more than 25,000 modern downtown hotel rooms.”

Where did they all go?

Some of these Hotels are stil standing, some are demolished, and some I’ve never heard of. I need some reader feedback to help me pin down the location of some of these….

The Hotel Norton. This was Jefferson & Griswold, where One Woodward, now stands.

The recently demolished Statler… RIP. At least the Superbowl visitors will have a nice gravel lot to look at.

The Lee Crest? Anyone have any history/ideas on this one?

The Imperial, at Peterboro & Woodward.

The Detroit Leyland, now the Ramada on Cass.

The good old Book Cadillac. It looks like maybe, finally, renovation may be coming.

8 Responses to Photo Du Jour – October 31, 2005 – Detroit Hotels 1929 – Part I

1. MikeM on October 31, 2005 at 10:04 am

Imperial Hotel – 26 Peterboro.

2. Andrew on October 31, 2005 at 11:37 pm

Thanks Mike, I updated the info above.

3. MikeM on February 18, 2006 at 12:10 am

Lee Crest, coverted into apartments at some time prior to 1940. Located at 8701 Second Ave, corner of Blaine, north of the New Centr area:

4. Robert on July 16, 2006 at 12:50 pm

Is the Lee of the Lee Crest any connection to the Lee of the Lee Plaza? Mebbe the same owner?

5. Nick on September 29, 2006 at 7:23 pm

I really enjoyed seeing these hotel posts. Well done! And the Hotel Norton has interested me for a long time. This page has the most information I can find on it.

6. Barry Kinder on September 30, 2006 at 6:27 pm

I lived on the sixth floor of the Lee Crest in the mid-60s. It was still a “nice” place to live. The lobby was right out of an old movie. There was a big, old, shuttered BALLROOM and a working swimming pool. Thanks for the photo.

7. Barry Kinder on September 30, 2006 at 7:09 pm

Mrs. Lelli (of Lelli’s Restaurant on Woodward – famous for their filet mignon) lived there also. She sat next to me at the pool and, after two drinks, would tell me their secret recipes.

8. Online Texas Holdem on May 14, 2007 at 4:34 am

Online Texas Holdem

navigated McKeon flourish ablated sponge marketability.Texas Hold Em Tournament Rule [url=http://www.texasholdemy.com/01213/]Texas Hold Em Tournament Rule[/url] http://www.texasholdemy.com/01213/