For many years, the Canadian Club sign illuminated the Windsor Shoreline, relentlesly advertising the Distillery’s wares. Now it’s been gone less than a decade, but is probably forgotten by many.
The sign however had quite a history.
This photo above is from c. 1920, and shows the first sign. That sign above was designed by Architect Albert Kahn, and erected in 1900. It was the World’s largest electric sign. It was 150 feet wide, by 60 feet tall, and contained 4,300 light bulbs. (Sign facts from the Walkerville Times
The second version was even bigger. It covered the roof of the grain Silos as seen in this postcard shot from the late 1960′s. That sign was around from the early to mid 1960′s until the late 1990′s, when it was demolished as it was deemed structurally unsound. It was according to stories, the largest Neon Sign in the world at one time.
Today the silos are sign free, and the sign a distant memory…